Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Scars

A young man came into my store today. His medium reg hair cut and square jaw were what first caught my attention. He wore standard business clothes and was accompanied by similarly dressed males, though none quite had his presence. Marines, whether you like it or not, you have an aura. Especially the veterans. It never goes away, even after you've been a civilian for years. This young man came through my line and had scars on his cheek I've only ever seen on Marines who've seen action in Iraq or Afghanistan. Like random bits of metal and rock had once, recently, sliced into his skin. Needless to say, his eyes were much older than his face. I began to wonder about him; what he had done and seen, how exactly he was adjusting to civilian life, if he was perhaps still in the reserves (hence his attachment to that super hair cut). Was his life turning out the way he expected? Was he happy now, or did he feel that strange detatchment from others that often overtakes veterans? He'll probably never be back, so I guess I'll never know. I do hope he finds peace one day.

No comments: